In the beginning, the universe was formless and chaotic. This became the beginning of God’s creative action.
Creation was done in six days as follows;
- Day One: Light and Darkness.
- Day Two: Sky.
- Day Three: land, sea and vegetation.
- Day Four: Sun, moon and stars.
- Day Five: Birds and sea creatures.
- Day Six: Animals and human beings in His image.
- Day Seven: God rested.
- After each work of creation, God emphasize the goodness of his creation and always ends with; “and Gods saw that it was good…..”
Second Account of Creation
Gen 2:4 – 25
It is a man centered story and everything is created to serve the needs of man.
- The earth is described as waterless and uncultivated desert.
- God made man from clay or dust and put the breath of life in him.
- God planted a garden called Eden in the East where he put man to cultivate and guard it.
- God made fruit tree to produce food and in the middle of the garden, he put the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
- God created animals and asked man to name them.
- He commanded man to eat all the fruits except fruits from the tree of knowledge of what is good and evil.
- A river flowed through and watered the garden.
- The river then split into four rivers:-
- God then discovered that man was lonely and made him fall into deep sleep and created a woman out of his ribs as a companion and helper.
- He initiated marriage because he is a caring and loving God.