ISRAELITES NEW UNDERSTANDING OF THE NATURE OF GOD
Through the teachings of Moses and their personal experience, the Israelites learnt the following about the nature of God:
- He is the God of their forefathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
- God is more powerful than the other god’s e.g. he led them across the Red sea.
- He fulfils his promises as evidenced by their release from Egypt.
- God is holy as seen from the restriction from contact with the Holy Mountain.
- God uses his chosen people to carry out his mission e.g. Israel.
- God is the provider as seen in his provision of food and water in the wilderness.
- He is a moral God as he gave the Ten Commandments to the Israelites to guide their behavior/ God is a jealous God.
- God is a personal God who initiates a covenant relationship with individuals for e.g. the Sinai covenant.
- He is the only God/Yahweh was the true God.
- God is just as he punished idol worshippers.
- God is transcendent and beyond human understanding as seen in the revelation at Mt. Sinai.
- God demands total obedience from his people as expressed in his instruction during the making and the renewal of covenant.
- God is awesome as shown in people’s fear of him as seen on Mt. Sinai.
- God is omnipresent. He moved with them and was present in the pillar of cloud and fire.
- God is a jealous God as expressed in the Ten Commandments.
- God forgives sinners.