THE SINAI COVENANT: MOSES
The call of Moses (Exodus 3:1-22)
- Moses had gone to look after his father-in-law’s flocks near Mt. Horeb/ Mt. Sinai which means mountain of God.
- An angel appeared to him as a burning bush which was not being consumed.
- Moses moved near to see what was happening and God called him by his name in the middle of the Burning bush.
- He was instructed not to move any closer and to remove his shoes because the place where he was standing was Holy ground.
- God assured Moses that he was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
- Moses hid his face because he was afraid to look at God.
- God told him he had seen the suffering of his people (Israelites) and was ready to liberate them from Egypt.
- God commanded Moses to go to Egypt to free the Israelites.
- Moses protested that he was not worthy but God gave him the assurance that;
They would worship God at Mt. Sinai after leaving Egypt.
- Moses asked God what his name was and God replied, “I am who I am,” meaning:
God does not change with time or situations.
There is no human description of God.
- God then assured Moses that the Israelites would respond positively while Pharaoh would be stubborn until several miracles were done.
- Moses was given two signs as a proof that he was God’s messenger.
His hand was affected by leprosy.
- Moses being a stammerer was given Aaron as his spokesperson.
- Moses later left for Egypt with his family.