- Jesus went to the city of Nain accompanied by His disciples/ crowd.
- At the gate of the city, He met people carrying a dead man.
- The dead man was the only son of the widow.
- The mother/ widow was accompanied by a large crowd.
- Jesus felt pity for the widow/ told her not to weep.
- Jesus touched the bier in which the body lay.
- Jesus told the dead man to arise.
- The dead man sat up/ began to speak.
- Jesus gave the man to his mother.
- The people were filled with fear.
- The people glorified the Lord.
- Jesus’ fame spread in Judea/ in the surrounding region.
Lessons learnt about Jesus from the raising of the son of the widow
- Jesus has power over death. By raising the son of the widow, He demonstrated that he is the giver of life.
- Jesus is the giver of life and hence the resurrection.
- Jesus is a great prophet. He is the fulfillment of the prophecies of the Old Testament i.e. sent by God to His people.
- Jesus compassionate to empathizes with the suffering. He saw the widow weeping and pitied her.
- Jesus’ mission is for the weak and the suffering like the widows.
- Jesus is above ritual uncleanliness. He touched the bier of the dead son although by doing this, he broke the Jewish ceremonial laws.
- He is the Messiah as he performed a miracle.
- He came to spread the word of God as crowds followed to hear him.
- He is the Lord/son of God.
Lessons Christians learn from the healing
- Christians should show mercy/compassion to the suffering and help them to meet their needs.
- They should discard traditional cultural practices that may hinder them from true Christianity.
- They should perform miracles using Jesus’ power in them.
How Christians continue with the healing ministry of Jesus
- Praying for/ preaching to the sick.
- Laying hands on the sick/ anointing them.
- Providing guidance and counseling services.
- Constructing hospitals/ health centers/ rehabilitation centers.
- Providing preventive/ curative drugs/treating the sick.
- Paying for medical expenses for the sick.
- Producing/ disseminating literature on health issues/ electronic media on health issues.
- Preaching against evil/ causes of ailments that interfere with good health.
- Providing food/ clothing/ shelter to the needy.
- Visiting the sick.
- Training medical personnel.
- Educating the masses through seminars/ workshops.
(c) Assurance to john the Baptist - Luke 7:18 – 35
- John had been imprisoned by King Herod for rebuking the king for his immoral acts.
- John sent his disciples to find out if Jesus was the Messiah who he had foretold.
- Jesus told the disciples to report what they had seen and heard Jesus do i.e.
- restoring sight,
- The deaf hearing,
- The sick being healed,
- The Gospel being preached,
- lame walked, and
- Lepers cleansed.
- These were the prophetic signs for the Messianic age.
- In his preaching to the crowd, Jesus described John as:
- A man rejected by Jewish leader.
- A Nazarite.
- A messenger.
- A man living a simple life.
- A fore runner to the Messiah.
- The greatest of the O. T prophet.
- Those who confess to Christ in the new Kingdom are greater than John.
- Jesus hit at the Pharisees for not recognizing Him and John. They refused to listen to the Good News about the Kingdom brought by the two.
Lessons Christians learn from the incident
ii. Christians should spread the Gospel even if people are opposed to them.
iii. Christians should read the signs of the kingdom for themselves and make judgment.
iv. Christians should struggle to get the Kingdom which is valuable than anything else.
v. Christians should explain the truth about Jesus to those who are weak in faith.
vi. Should acknowledge the works of God’s servants.
The aspects of John the baptist that Jesus praised
- He praised John’s simple way of life and contrasted it with the luxury life of King Herod’s court.
- He described him as the greatest prophet.
- Jesus said that John was God’s own messenger.
- He described John as the one who ushered in the Kingdom of God/ forerunner.
- John the Baptist gave hope to sinners who he called to repentance unlike the Pharisees who condemned and judged them.
- Jesus said John is the greatest among all those born by women.
- Jesus said he who is least in the kingdom of God was greater than John.