AFRICAN MORAL AND CULTURAL VALUES
(i) The meaning of life and its wholeness in the traditional African society
- In TAS, God is the source of life.
- Life is a rhythm which recycles itself.
- There are several dimensions of life i.e.
- Physical dimensions.
- Social dimension.
- Spiritual dimension.
- Environmental dimension.
- Physical dimension of life refers to the material state of human beings.
- Social dimensions comprises of relation of living with others in a community.
- Spiritual dimensions link human beings with spiritual power e.g. God, spirits andAncestors.
- Environmental dimension of life is the relation between the physical environment and humans.
- Life is enhanced through observance of rituals, taboos and regulations.
- Life is promoted through transitional stages e.g. birth, initiation, marriage and death.
- It is perpetuated through marriage for the continuation of the community.
- Death transforms an individual from physical life to the spiritual one.
(ii). The African concept of community and kinship system