Covenants in modern life
- Oath of loyalty to state/ oath of allegiance.
- Trade agreements/ treaties.
- Peace treaties.
- Land buying contracts.
- Employment contracts.
- Is an agreement between God and the believer to shed the life without Christ and take on life with Christ.
- The believer makes vows to remain faithful to God and obedient to his will.
- The believer promises to keep the commandment of God and to serve him.
- The covenant is enacted through the ceremony of baptism.
- The pastor/priest and the congregation serve as witness.
- It involves the bride and bridegroom.
- These are two parties that were separate before coming together.
- The two exchange vows in the presence of the pastor and the congregation.
- God is also a witness at this covenant.
- Wear rings and exchange marriage vows.
- A marriage certificate is the sign.
3. Oath of allegiance/loyalty
- It involves national leaders taking up positions of public service e.g. the head of state, Ministers, etc.
- This agreement is made between them and the people they will serve.
- An oath is taken during the swearing in ceremony.
- They promise to serve the nation and its citizens faithfully
- Made by leaders who are taking up leadership in the church.
- They take up vows in which they promise obedience and loyalty to God, their supervisors and Body of Christ