The word literally means to cut around or to cut the foreskin.
As a sign of the covenant, God instructed circumcision for Abraham and his descendants.
Elements of Jewish circumcision
- Every male among Abraham’s descendants had to be circumcised.
- They would be circumcised by the flesh of their foreskins.
- Circumcision would take place when a male was 8 days old.
- Circumcision was also required of all male servants of Abraham.
- The practice would be a mark/symbol of an everlasting covenant between God and Abraham’s community.
- Any man who was not circumcised would be cut off from Abraham’s descendants because he had broken the covenant.