Conditions that made it difficult for prophet Elijah to stop idolatry in Israel
- The existence of false prophets who gave false promises to the Israelites.
- King Ahab had allowed his Phoenician wife to bring the worship of false gods and goddesses.
- Jezebel ordered the persecution of the true prophets of God.
- King Ahab had allowed the building of temples/ high places for the worship of Baal.
- The Canaanite religion had a strong influence on the Israelites.
- The king participated in idol worship.
- The idol gods could be seen/ touched so they appeared real.