CONTINUITY AND CHANGE IN THE AFRICAN UNDERSTANDING OF VARIOUS ISSUES
- An African community consisted of the living, dead and the unborn.
- Each community had common characteristics such as common ancestors, unique language, a particular geographical area, a culture and distinct social, economic and political structure.
- Today, the understanding of community has changed due to such factors as; education, urbanization, migration, natural consciousness and religion.
- Urbanization has brought together people of different background.
- Formal education has promoted new loyalties based on new social status and academic and professional qualifications.
- New political systems and forms of Government have changed the traditional African community.
Old age and the aged
- In A.T.C, old people were well taken care of and highly respected.
- They did light duties e.g. looking after young children while others worked.
- They were members of the council of elders who settled disputes and were consulted for advice.
- The elders were custodians of community values, customs and religious beliefs.
- Today due to urbanization, many elderly people are left alone in the rural areas with no- one to take care of them.
- Sometimes they end up in homes for the aged or begging on the streets.
- - Old people are important because they have wealth of knowledge to share. We should take care of them.