Why did the Israelites demand for an Idol / possible reasons for breaking the Covenant?
- Moses overstayed up the mountain.
- -They needed another leader because they did not know what had happened to Moses.
- They lacked self-control/ were impatient.
- They lacked faith in God/ unfaithful.
- They did not understand the nature of their God e.g. powerful God.
- It is possible that they were misled by foreigners who joined them on their way to Canaan.
- Aaron was a weak leader and accepted to make the golden bull-calf.
- They had been exposed to idolatry in Egypt.
- The availability of raw materials e.g. Jewellery they had brought from Egypt.
Effects of worshipping the Idol / Bull
- God was annoyed with the Israelites and wanted to destroy/consume them and start raising a new generation through Moses.
- Moses pleaded with God to forgive them and God withdrew his wrath/ God forgave them.
- Moses was annoyed when he found the Israelites worshipping the idol and he threw down the stone tablets breaking them.
- Moses burnt the Golden Bull-calf into ashes mixed with water and ordered the Israelites to drink.
- God forgave those who repented after worshipping the Golden calf.
- Moses separated those who repented; the Levites included, and ordered the unrepentant group to be killed.
- The Lord sent a plague upon the people because they had worshipped the idol.