FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO HARMONY AND MUTUAL RESPONSIBILITY IN THE AFRICAN COMMUNITY
(i) Political ties.
- Power and authority is exercised and shared among clan leaders and elders.
- This enhances a peaceful co-existence among community members.
- Land and other resources are owned by community.
- Done according to age, gender and social status.
- Ensures that all members participate in the activities of the community.
- All members are to pray and worship together and during times of crisis e.g. when there is a disaster, epidemic or serious sickness, people gather to offer sacrifices to God and ancestors/ spirits in order to appease them.
- Common beliefs about God and spirits are passed on from one generation to another and are held dearly.
- Members of the community try to live in harmony and peace with the departed and unborn.
- Every activity in life has a religious dimension.