Gen 12:1 – 3, Gen 15:1 – 21, Gen. 17:1 – 8, 15-18.
- An assurance to someone
- Is a written/spoken declaration/commitment that one will definitely do or not do something.
Gods’ promises to Abraham were irrevocable commitments.
- God would give him land to dwell in. His descendants would also be given the land of Canaan to dwell in.
- God would make Abrahams name famous.
- God would establish an everlasting covenant with Abraham and his descendants He shall be their God.
- God would be a ‘shield’ to Abraham that He would protect him.
- God would make Abraham’s descendants a great nation.
- God would give Abraham and his wife Sarah a son of their own.
- God would make his descendants to be enslaved for 400 years in a foreign land.
- However God would deliver / free them and go back to their land with a lot of wealth.
- God would punish the nation that enslaves Abraham’s descendants.
- God would make some of Abraham’s descendants’ kings.
- God would bless Abraham.
- God would bless those who blessed him.
- God would curse those who cursed him.
- God would make all the families of the earth receive blessings through Abraham.
- Abraham would live long and die in peace.
- He would have many descendants.