- It T.A.C, marriage is looked upon as sacred and ordained by God.-It is a requirement and an obligation for every normal person to get married and have children
Importance of marriage:
- Creates new relationship bonds when two families come together and so expand kinship ties.
- Promotes social status of those involved.
- Source of wealth due to dowry payment made by the wife’s family.
- Meeting point of the departed, the living and the yet to be born.
- Religious obligation through which human life is preserved, propagated and perpetuated since it is sacred.
- Promotes immortality because parents are remembered by their children when they die. They perpetuate the name of the family.
- Gives identity, a sense of belonging and completeness.
- Allows the individuals to have sex.
- Gives men and women new roles and responsibilities.
- It is in marriage that children are born into the community.
- Communal affair that brings people to work and feast together.
- Provides security to parents especially in their old age when their children take care of them and inherit their wealth.
MORAL VALUES INCULCATED BY MARRIAGE
- Creates respect and confidence since it promotes the social status of those involved.
- Promotes co-operation when two families come together to help sustain it.- Promotes hospitality and sharing when the families visit each other, share food, services and bride wealth.
- Brings together the living, the departed and the unborn encouraging unity.
- When children are named after ancestors and the departed, loyalty and obedience is promoted.
- It is compulsory for all which creates obedience.
- Promotes chastity since sex is only allowed in marriage.
- Encourages self control because adultery is forbidden and couples have to follow all the rules of marriage.
- Marriage comes with new roles and duties thus promoting responsibility.
- Those dishonest in marriage are punished; this helps to instill honesty, integrity and faithfulness.
- The first duty is procreation which calls for love in the upbringing of the children.
- All have roles to play. This calls for handwork so that harmony is maintained.