(EXODUS 19, 24:1 – 8)
God made a covenant with the Israelites at Mount Sinai in the wilderness. He brought them here so that he could enter into a personal relationship with the whole community of Abraham’s descendants.
God called Moses to the mountain to ask him if the Israelites were willing to obey. If they would obey Him, God made the following promises to them;
- He would make them His people.
- He would make them a kingdom of priests.
- He would make them a holy nation.
In readiness for the making of the Sinai Covenant, Abraham made the following preparations:
- They had to purify themselves i.e. washed the clothes and themselves.
- Moses marked a boundary at the foot of the mountain/ a holy boundary to prevent any person or animal going up the mountain.
- To be ready on the third day for the Lord come down on the mountain.
- Men were advised not to touch a woman/ no sexual relationship.
- They were to report to the mountain on hearing the sound of the trumpet.
- On the 3rd day Moses took the Israelites to meet their God.
- God manifested his presence in the form of:
- Thick cloud that covered the whole mountain.
- A loud trumpet blast that made the people tremble.
- Moses went up the mountain and was given the Ten Commandments
- Moses came back from the Mt. and told the people about the laws and ordinances which were to guide them as a covenant people. All the people answered in one voice and said “All the words which the Lord has spoken we will do,” (Exodus 24:3 – 4)