- A disciple means learner/follower. In the Bible it is used to refer to the learners who followed a particular master to learn about religious matters.
- The call of the first disciples took place in the shores of L. Gennesaret/ Sea of Tiberius/ Sea of Galilee.
- Jesus was standing on the shore when a large crowd gathered to hear the word.
- He got into a boat belonging to Simeon Peter, a fisherman.
- When he finished teaching, he asked Simeon to throw their net into the water again to catch some fish.
- Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, James and John had been fishing the whole night and caught nothing.
- Peter obeyed and let down their nets again and caught such a large number of fish that the nets almost broke.
- Simeon Peter was moved by the miraculous catch of fish.
- He fell on his knees before Jesus and urged him, ‘Go away from me Lord! I am a sinful man!’ Luke vs. 8.
- Jesus told Simeon Peter that he would be catching men.
- This meant that he was going to be one of the disciples of Jesus and will be winning people to God’s kingdom.
- James and John too were amazed at the miraculous catch of fish.
- The three of them left everything and followed Jesus.