Elijah means “Yahweh is my God”
Factors that led to spread of idolatry in Israel
- Idolatry refers to worship of idols.
- An idol is an image representing a god usually made using materials such as bronze, stone or hard wood.
- The images of these gods would be kept in the places of worship where the worshipers went to ask for whatever needs they had.
- The 2nd commandment Ex. 20:4 forbids making of images of anything “In the heavens above or the earth below…”
- The Israelites were forbidden from bowing down to /worshipping these images. (Deut 5:8 – 10 and Lev 26:1)
- To guard against the temptations to turn to the worship of the Canaanite gods, Yahweh through Moses had forewarned the Israelites that when they enter Canaan, they were supposed to destroy all the worshipping places e.g. temples/shrines and cultic objects (Ex .34:13).
The Israelites were not supposed to: