The significance of naming includes:
- Gives the new born baby an identity.
- Indicates that the child is an accepted society member.
- Through naming, they show gratitude to God.
- Reflects part of the personality of the child.
- Naming children after the departed relatives appeases the spirits.
- The name can reflect a remembrance of a certain event that was memorable at the time of birth.
- Naming customs differ from one community to another. Some names are chosen before birth others are given immediately they are born, others are named after a few days.
- Sometimes children are given more names as they grow.
How names are given to children in T.A.S [Traditional African Society]