REASONS FOR KINGSHIP IN ISRAEL - (1SAMUEL 8:1 – 9)
The people requested Samuel to choose for them a king because:
- Samuel’s sons were bad and evil leaders/failed as judges/perverted justice and therefore the people rejected them.
- The Israelites wanted to be like their neighbouring nations/other nations who had earthly kings.
- They needed a leader/warrior king who would lead them to war against their enemies e.g. the Philistines.
- They wanted a stable hereditary leadership.
- They wanted a human leader who could be recognized by other nations.
- A leader to organize them.
- Wanted a political nation governed by law and order instead of a theocratic government.
- Samuel had grown too old and needed a replacement.
- They failed to understand that Yahweh was their unseen King. God alone chooses rulers.