- It is the word of God.
- It makes them identify with God/Jesus as well as enhancing their unity.
- To recite prayers from it e.g. the Lord’s Prayer.
- It has guidelines and rituals e.g. the Lord’s Supper and marriage.
- It is a source of belief about God/Jesus/Holy Spirit and the church.
- It outlines church leadership, e.g. roles of pastors, evangelists and deacons.
- It is a source of Christian customs, e.g. giving of offerings, dedication of children and celebration of Eucharist.
- It is a source of miracles/ healing and other blessings.
- To strengthen their faith and hope in God.