- The Holy Spirit is the third person in blessed trinity that is made up of God the father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.
- During his farewell, Jesus assured his disciples that when he this world god would send them the Holy Spirit.
Teaching of Jesus on the roles of the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit would act as a counselor.
- Holy Spirit would reveal to the disciples all the truth about God.
- He would remind the disciples everything that Jesus taught them.
- He would pronounce judgment to all sinners.
- He would strengthen their faith during persecution.
- Holy Spirit would be a companionship to the disciples.
- Holy Spirit would help the disciples to understand Jesus as the son of God.
- He would help the disciples to predict the future events.
- Holy Spirit would forgive sins through the disciples of Jesus.
- Holy Spirit would empower the disciples to become Jesus witness all over the world.
Peter message on the day of Pentecost
- Pentecost was Jewish festival celebrated after every 50 days after the Passover, it commemorated the giving of the mosaic law on mount Sinai
Background to the day of Pentecost
- During the day of the Pentecost the disciples had gathered together when the holy spirit filled
- The holy spirit came to them in form of a strong wind and tongues of fires which rested on the head of each disciple
- The disciples spoke in different tongues on about the mighty works of God
- The foreigners who were gathered were able to understand what the disciples were saying in their own languages
- Some were amused but other accused the disciples of being drunk
Peters message on the day of Pentecost
- It was very early in the morning so the disciples could not be drunk
- Coming of the holy spirit was fulfillment of Joel’s prophecy
- Jesus was the son of God
- Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to fulfill his promises
- The apostles were living witnesses to the resurrection of Jesus.
- God has made Jesus both judge and lord
- God raised Jesus from death to fulfill his David prophecy
- Jesus was delivered into the hands of evil men suffered and was crucified
- Jesus performed mighty deeds through Gods power
- The disciples and all Jews were the witnesses
The gifts of the Holy Spirit
- The gift of wisdom - this helps Christians to understand the truth about God.
- Healing – ability to cure all types of diseases.
- Gift of performing miracles – ability to perform supernatural activities i.e. walking on water.
- Gift of prophecy – ability to proclaim God’s message
- Gift of speaking in tongues – the Holy Spirit enables Christians to speak in a language that he/she does not use on the ordinary.
- Gift of knowledge – this means intuition into matters of the kingdom of God
- Gift of faith – ability to believe and trust in God
- Gift of interpretation of tongues – enable one to interpret speaking in tongues
Paul’s teachings on the gifts of the holy spirits
- The gift of tongues is meaningless without love
- The gift of prophecy or knowledge in preaching too is useless without love
- Having a gift of faith so strong as to move a mountain or giving oneself as a martyr is useless without love
Paul’s teaching about love
- Love is patience
- Love is kindness
- Love is not jealous or boastful
- Love is not disrespectful in dealing
- Love is not arrogant
- Love is not irritable or resentful but rejoices in truth, bears all things, hopes all things and endures all things
Paul’s teachings on comparison between prophecy and tongues
- Those who speak in tongues cannot be understood by the audience who cannot interpret the message.
- Those who speak in tongues communicate with God and so benefit themselves.
- When tongues are not interpreted they cause confusion to the hearers.
- A prophet message may touch a sinner who may repent and turn to God
- Prophecy contributes to the common good of the church
Criteria for discerning the gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Those with an evil spirit will curse Jesus.
- A person under the influence of the Holy Spirit will proclaim Jesus as the lord.
- A true prophet invites sinners to repent
- A false prophet will ask for payment for his prophecies
- A false prophet prophecies peace to please people
- A true prophet speaks the truth including God’s judgement to sinners irrespective of the consequences
The fruits of Holy Spirit
- Self – control
Manifestation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit in the Christ today
- Those who believe in healing may stop members from seeking medical treatments
- The gifts of the faith give Christians courage to condemn evil in the society.
- There is speaking in tongues today
- Healing and performing miracles are evident today in the church
- Some Christians have witnessed healing and surviving miracles
- The gift of wisdom used by Christians to interpret the scriptures
- The gift of distinguishing sprits helps Christians to differentiate between the holy spirit and evil spirit
Topical revision questions on gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Explain the gifts of the holy spirit and their manifestation as expressed by st. Pentecost (8 mks )
- Discus how the gifts of the holy spirit are manifested in your local church today (8 mks )
- Identify seven reasons why Jesus sent the holy spirits to the disciples after his ascension (8mks )
- Indentify fruits of the holy spirit taught by saint Paul in Galatians 5: 22 – 23 (6 mks )
- Explain how the use of the holy spirit brought disunity in the church at Corinth (7 mks )
- Indentify the spiritual gifts taught by saint Paul in the early church(7 mks)
- Outline contribution of women in church in Kenya today
- State 5 ways in which Christians are able to identify those who processes the holy spirit (5 mks)
- When does the practice of spiritual gifts results to works of flesh? (6mks )