VENERATING AND COMMUNICATING WITH SPIRITS AND ANCESTORS
Ways in which traditional African communities demonstrated their respect to ancestors and spirits
- Pouring libations.
- Making sacrifices and giving offerings.
- Naming children after them.
- Praying to God through them.
- Addressing them by their proper names and titles.
- Inviting them to social functions e.g. birth, initiation, and marriage.
- Teaching children about them.
- Building shrines.
- Human beings communicate with spirits for a good or bad cause.
- People communicate with the spirits through the religious specialists e.g. the diviners and mediums.
- The religious specialists link human beings to the living world.
- Mediums and diviners may become spirit possessed through;
- Sitting quietly in a place.
- Clapping of hands.
- Falling into a trance. The possessed person looses ones senses and becomes the spirit’s instrument.
- The spirits speaks through the medium and reveals information on issues like finding lost property.mies in the society
- The spirit may make certain demands on the living.
- They may advice and give a warning on impending danger.
- They may make promises of blessing to a given family or clan.
NB: It is the duty of the living to abide by what the spirits wants.
- Spirits that possess mediums are not harmful.
- Evil spirits cause harm to those they posses.
- People communicate with spirits through the following ways;
- Through divination.
- Singing and dancing to them.
- Recitation/ chanting and invoking their names.
- By making sacrifices to them.
- By saying prayers.
- By giving offerings.
- By giving sacrifices.
- Through burning incense.