- Jesus had been invited by a Pharisee for dinner.
- While He was at the table a sinful woman came with an alabaster flask of ointment.
- She stood at Jesus’ feet weeping and wet His feet with her tears.
- She used her hair to wipe the feet of Jesus.
- She kissed the feet of Jesus.
- She then anointed the feet of Jesus with ointment.
- The Pharisee who had invited Jesus questioned in his heart whether Jesus was a prophet.
- Jesus knew the thoughts of Simon/ told him the parable of the creditor and debtors.
- Jesus asked Simon who of the two debtors would love the creditor more.
- Simon said the debtor with more debt would love the creditor more.
- He told Simon that the woman had shown much love because her many sins had been forgiven.
- Jesus then told the woman that her sins had been forgiven.
- The other guests began to question who Jesus was to have the power to forgive sin.
- Jesus told the woman that her faith had saved her.
- He told her to go in peace.
Reasons why Christians should ask for forgiveness from God
- To be at peace with God/ establish a relationship with God.
- To show obedience to the teachings of Jesus.
- To improve the relationship with others.
- It gives them confidence to serve God.
- To acknowledge their weakness/ a sign of humility.
- It shows their desire to lead a righteous life.
- It is a sign of appreciation of God’s mercy.
- It is a way of self reproach.
- It is a demonstration of their faith in God.
- So as to be forgiven by God.
Lessons Christians learn from the story
- Christians should seek Jesus for forgiveness.
- They should teach the Gospel to other
- Christians should not discriminate against others.
- They should not condemn those working for God.
- They should be tolerant with sinners.
- Christians should not bar others from seeking salvation.
- Christians should avoid hypocrisy and self righteousness.
- Christians should humble themselves before God when seeking forgiveness.
Those who were part of the ministry of Jesus were;
Mary Magdalene, Joanna and Susana were some of the women who accompanied and used their resources to support Jesus and His disciples in their ministry.
Jesus recognized their role in His ministry; He elevated the status of women in society contrary to traditional Jewish belief of their subordinate role.
Responsibilities of women in the church today
- Teach Sunday school.
- Preach as Pastors and Bishops.
- Give tithes and offerings.
- Act as ushers.
- Clean the church/decorate the church.
- Run hospitality services in church e.g. feeding pastors and fellow Christians.
- Women take care of young children in church.
- They contribute money/ clothes/ food to less fortunate, needy.
- Run income generating projects for the church.
- They organize guidance and counseling programmes in the church/ guide and counsel members.
- They are leaders in the church/participate in choosing leaders.