Factors that have negatively influenced the role of the religious specialist
- The influence of Christianity; it associates the practices of these leaders with magic and witchcraft. Christian leaders are also given prominence over the traditional leaders.
- The new government structures and political systems have taken over the roles of traditional leaders.
- Formal education is used as a tool in choosing leaders as opposed to age, wisdom and experience used in traditional African communities.
- Through migration, people from different cultures mix up and may not recognize local leaders.
- Science and technology provides solutions to problems related to weather conditions and medical treatments. This disregards the work of rainmakers and herbalists.
- Increased poverty makes some people engage in work of specialists without the necessary skills in their effort to earn a living.