FAITH AND GOD’S PROMISES: ABRAHAM
Background to the call of Abraham
Gen 11:24 – 32
- Abraham was the son of Terah who lived in the city of Ur.
- Abraham was an Amorite/ a Semitic tribe who occupied the fertile crescent of the Middle East.
- Abraham’s father migrated to Haran with his family.
- Their religion was polytheistic.
- Sacrifices were made to gods including human sacrifices. After the death of Terah, Abraham was left in charge of the family.
- Abraham was married to Sarai but they had no child.
- Abraham lived with Lot, his nephew, a nomadic and pastoral way of live.
- Abraham was called by God to leave Haran to go to Canaan.
- He was 75 years when he left Haran for Canaan.