Importance of circumcision to Abraham and his descendants
- It was an outward sign of Abraham’s and his descendants’ covenant relationship with God.
- It was an outward sign of a male Jew’s true belonging to the Jewish community.
- It was an outward sign of the inner faith for Abraham and his descendants that they were called to a life of obedience to God.
- It identified the Israelites as God’s chosen race.
- Through it, Abraham and his descendants were assured of inheriting God’s blessings.
- It confirmed that Abraham was obedient and faithful to God.
- It was a sign of continued love and protection from God which the Israelites were to enjoy.
- It signified purity/ cleanliness.