1 SAMUEL 8:10 – 20
The following are the reasons why Samuel was unwilling to choose a king;
- Choosing a king meant rejecting of God as their ruler/king/challenged the kingship of God over Israel.
- The king would force people into military services.
- The king would introduce forced labour in Israel.
- The king would introduce slavery in Israel.
- The king would grab their land and property.
- The king would impose heavy taxation to maintain the army
- The king would demand free food and services.
- The king would Force people’s daughters into inter-marriage.
- The king would take their daughters to be perfumers and cooks in his palace.
- In becoming like other nations, the Israelites would lose their identity as a covenant people.
- Hereditary kingship would bring oppression and dictatorship in Israel.
- It was a way of not appreciating/ not being thankful for God’s deliverance from Egypt/ Exodus.
- If ruled by the king the Israelites would lose their identity as God’s chosen people/people of the covenant.
- The king would not be God’s choice and thus would not rule according to God’s will/ demands.
- The king would deviate/ divert people’s attention from God and the covenant way of life.
- They will cry out to God and He will not listen.