Relevance of the promises to Christians today
- God chose Abraham from among people who were idol worshipers so that he could serve him. In the same way God continues to call people from different backgrounds to serve him in different ways e.g. evangelism, pastor, priest e.t.c.
- God’s promise to Abraham that he would be his shield of protection he is inherited by Christians; God continues to protect Christians under all circumstances.
- Through God’s dealings with Abraham God shows that he values personal relationship with humankind. Christians believe that God is interested in establishing such relationships with them.
- 4 .Abraham’s call demanded that he breaks from his earlier life e.g. he had to leave home, relatives and friends and go to the unknown land. Christians are also called to leave their past sinful lives and put their faith in God the almighty.
- God promised Abraham the land of Canaan. Historically this was fulfilled and Christians also hope for a new learn – heaven, which is the New Canaan.
- God promised Abraham that he would be a father of a great nation. Christians today see themselves as the great nation of God and the descendants of Abraham.
- God’s promise to punish those who enslaved the Israelites shows that God is against any form of human oppression.
- Christians are expected to respond to the promises of God by faith, trust and obedience as Abraham did.