THE ORIGIN OF SIN AND ITS CONSEQUENCES
What is sin?
Causes of sin (Genesis 3-11)
- Rebellion against God as human beings aspired to be like God.
- Greed for power as human beings try to usurp the power which belongs to God alone.
- Lack of knowledge of God.
- Lack of trust in God’s providence.
- Failure to obey God by eating the forbidden fruit.
- Lack of satisfaction.
- Temptation by the devil.
- Wicked ambitions.
- Human weakness.
The consequences of sin (Genesis 3, 4, 6 – 9)
- Human beings were alienated/ separated from God.
- Their friendship with Him changed to fear. (Genesis 3:8)
- What had been innocent and good became shameful.
- Adam and Eve were now ashamed of their nakedness, something they had not felt before they sinned against God. (Gen 3:10-14)
- Pain will be part of human experience “…….I will greatly multiply your pain in child bearing…..” Gen 3:16
- The Good relationship between God and human beings got ruined.
- The Lord God sent them out of the Garden of Eden. (Gen 3:23 – 24)
- The perfect relationship between man and woman is damaged. Their relationship becomes one of hostility
- The Lord said to the woman…., “you will still have desire for your husband, yet you will be subject to him,”….. (Genesis 3:23 – 24)
- People have to toil and struggle to meet their needs,”you will have to work hard and sweat to make the soil produce anything” (Gen 3:17 – 19)
- The earth itself is under a curse,”cursed is the ground because of you,”…. (Genesis 3:17)
- The relationship between human beings and the land which they were created from become mortal enemies each struggling to take life from the others until the ground finally regains victory. (Genesis 3:19)
- There arose enmity between man and wild animals (Genesis 3:15)
- Death sentence is passed upon all the people… “You will return to the ground….” “You are dust….” (Gen 3:19) (Roman 5:12) (1 Corinthians 8:19 – 23)
- Murderous feelings began to get into peoples hearts e.g. Cain killed Abel, his young brother (Gen 4:8)
- Human beings changed and became prone to sin “….the wickedness of man was great on earth…. Imagination and thought of his heart is evil continually”. (Gen 6:5 – 6)
- The life span of human beings was reduced Genesis 5 “….. I will not allow people to live forever…” “…they will not live beyond 120 years….”
- Global violence and forbidden marriages which led God to declare global destruction. (Genesis 6:1 – 9, 18)
- God felt regret and remorse having created human beings human i.e. sin awakened God’s anger. (Genesis 6:6 – 7)
- God confused human language after the flood “…. Let us go down and mix their language so that they will not understand one another….” (Genesis 11:7)