(i) The raising of Jairus’ daughter.
- Jesus was requested by Jairus who was a leader of a synagogue, to go and heal his only daughter who was very sick (she was 12 years old).
- Jesus accepted Jairus’ humble request but word came that the girl was dead and therefore no need to bother Jesus.
- Jesus asked Jairus to have faith and told mourners not to wail because the girl was just asleep.
- Jesus together with Peter, John and James and the parents of the dead girl, and entered the house.
- Jesus held the girls hand and commanded her to rise up to which she responded.
- Jesus requested that she be given something to eat.
- The miracle was to remain a secret.
Lessons learnt about Jesus from the miracle
- Jesus mission was to uplift the lowly like women.
- Jesus is the Lord of life. He brings back to life those who have died. He is the Lord of resurrection and life.
- He has mercy/compassion to those suffering e.g. raising back to life.
- His mission as the Messiah was yet to be revealed to the public.
- He welcomes those with faith and responds to their needs.
- He came to discourage those Jewish traditions that could be a barrier to eternal life like touching a corpse.
Lessons Christians learn from the raising
- They should be hopeful for eternal life.
- Christians should have faith in Jesus’ work
- Christians should humble themselves before Jesus if they are to be rewarded.
- Christians should assist those who are suffering.
- They should turn to God in prayer during times of hardships. They should be patient to witness the mighty works of Jesus.
- They should be ready to be mocked and ridiculed as they serve the Lord.
(ii) The healing of the woman with the flow of blood - Luke 8:40 – 48
- As Jesus was on His way to Jairus’ house, a large crowd followed and pressed against Him.
- In the crowd was a woman who suffered from an incurable disease i.e. internal bleeding.
- She had bled for twelve years.
- She believed that just by touching the cloak of Jesus, she would be healed.
- She touched the fringe of Jesus’ garment and immediately the flow of blood ceased.
- Jesus asked who had touched Him.
- All denied while Peter said there was a great multitude pressing on Him.
- Jesus said that someone touched Him for He perceived power leaving him.
- The woman came forward trembling and fell before Jesus and testified how she had received healing.
- Jesus told her “Daughter, your faith has made you well, go in peace.”
Lessons learnt about Jesus from this miracle
- Jesus has power to heal all diseases.
- He is a merciful Lord ready to aid the suffering.
- He heals in response to faith.
- The healing demonstrates God’s power in the person of Jesus.
- Jesus heals to restore people back to wholeness of life.
Lessons Christians learn from the miracle
- Christians should seek Jesus in times of trouble.
- Christians should testify about what Jesus has done for.
- Christians should show compassion to the sick by restoring their state.
- Christians should advocate for the rights of marginalized groups in society.
- Christians should continue with the healing mission of Christ.
- Christians should have practical faith in their lives.
Ways in which Jesus uplifted the status of women according to St. Lukes’s Gospel
- Jesus raised the only son of the widow of Nain from death.
- Jesus forgave the sinful woman in Simon the Pharisee’s house.
- He healed the women who accompanied Him of infirmities or cast out evil spirits.
- Jesus healed the woman who had been crippled on the Sabbath.
- He raised Jairus’ daughter from death.
- Jesus praised Mary for choosing to listen to the word of God while her sister Martha complained about work.
- Jesus told the women who accompanied Him to the crucifixion not to weep and it was women who were the first to receive the news of His resurrection.
- Jesus healed the woman who had the flow of blood for twelve years.
- Jesus commended the widow who gave all her offering in the temple.
- Jesus visited the family of Martha and Mary.
Ways in which Christians can eradicate cases of discrimination in the society
- Educate people on the evils against discrimination.
- Condemn those who practice discrimination.
- Living exemplary lives or being role models.
- Reporting cases of discrimination to the relevant authorities.
- Praying for the culprits to change.
- Providing equal job opportunities to both genders.
- Preaching love in the society.
- Supporting the government in enacting laws that promote equality.
- Rewarding marginalised groups that make a positive mark in the society.
Lessons that Christians learn from the mighty works of Jesus
- Jesus gives life/ has power over death/ thus Christians should have hope of life after death.
- Christians should have faith; faith is necessary for healing.
- Christians should approach/ seek God with humility.
- Christians should be persistent in making requests.
- God answers requests/ Christians should turn to God for their needs.
- Christians should be patient/ avoid desperation.
- Christians should be compassionate to those suffering.
- Christians should believe in Jesus’ power through touching.
- Christians should emulate Jesus’ humility as they do God’s work e.g. Jesus imposed silence as He raised Jairus’ daughter.
- Jesus gives hope to those who are hopeless and thus Christians should not be desperate.
- Christians should carry out their mission to all regardless of race, gender or status.
- Jesus knows the needs of people personally, therefore Christians should ask for them.
- Christians should exercise courage when seeking solutions to their problems.