THE RENEWAL OF THE SINAI COVENANT - EXODUS 34:1 -35
- God forgave the people and Moses.
- The Ten Commandments were re-written on two stone tablets that God had asked Moses to cut.
- Moses went up the mountain with the two stone tablets alone and no man or animal was allowed to be seen around the mountain.
- God declared that he could make a covenant with the Israelites.
- He gave Moses the Ten Commandments the second time.
God revealed his nature to Moses as:
- Merciful/compassionate God.
- Gracious God.
- Slow anger
- Abounding in love
- Faithful to his promise
- Forgiving wickedness, Rebellion and sin.
- Just and jealous/punishes sin
- He promised to take the Israelites to the Promised Land and protect them against the Canaanites
The Israelites were given conditions to fulfill after the renewal these are:
- Obey what God commands them.
- Not to worship any other gods.
- Not to make any cast idols.
- To keep the Feast of Unleavened Bread.
- To rest on the seventh day.
- To dedicate all their first born children and that of the flock to God.
- To offer to God the first fruit of their harvest.
- Not to enter into any covenant relationship with the inhabitant of Canaan e.g. not to intermarry with foreigners.
- To destroy the worshipping place of idols.
- Not to make molten gods to worship.
- Three times in a year the male folk were to appear before God.
- Not to offer the blood of His sacrifice with leaven.
- Not to boil a kid in his mother’s milk.
Giving of more promises by God
God then gave them the following promises if they obeyed Him;
- God would bless them and make them more prosperous.
- God would preserve them as a chosen nation.
- God would do great and awesome things among his people.
- God would help them settle the Promised Land by driving out the inhabitants/their enemies e.g. Canaanite, perizites etc.