Examples of the passive:
I am seen I see
You will be struck You will strike
It was stolen It stole
We were carried We carried
They have been chosen They have chosen
- active: I heard the music.
- passive: The music was heard (by me). (Note: me, not I)
- The plane was shot down.
- Dozens were killed.
- Bill was run over by a bus.
- She doesn't frighten easily.
- This bread slices poorly.
- His novels sell well.
- Campbell's - the soup that eats like a meal (TM).
EXERCISE ON PASSIVE
- People speak both English and French in Canada.
- They have manufactured thousands of cars in this factory since last year.
- They are just building a new hospital.
- They have done all the work in record time.
- They will engage a number of well-known experts.
- What languages do people in Switzerland speak?
- The inspector is just interrogating the witnesses.
- They have displayed the latest model of computer at the exhibition.
- They didn’t tell me exactly what to do.
- They awarded him the Nobel Prize for physics last year.
- The teacher corrects our papers every day.
- They used to play that game in England before the war.
- The general himself gave them the orders.
- Many people hold this opinion.
- No one has answered that question so far.
- It was dark and we could see nothing from the balcony.
- We insist on punctuality in this office.
- You should have consulted a solicitor on this question.
- You should look into the matter more thoroughly.
- They have been investigating the case for two months.
- They have been building the new stadium for almost a year.
- They must give all the evidence to the police. They mustn’t keep anything back. (2 passives)