Read the passage below. It contains blank spaces numbered 1 to 15. For each blank space, choose the best alternative from the choices given
It is interesting to note that the insect does not ___9___ to spread disease. It just wants to feed itself and to reproduce. Researchers have discovered that the female mosquito needs to feed on blood in order to lay eggs. As it moves from one source to another in ___10___ of blood, it ends up picking up and spreading the organisms that cause the disease. A common rule of nature is ___11___ at work here; the survival of one creature means the death of another.
Some scientists have argued that the insect is not___12___useless. It serves as food for some other creatures such as lizards, geckos and birds. The lives of these predators ___13___ be at risk if there were no mosquitoes, and this would ___14___ affect the population of animals that in turn feed on the predators. All this would finally affect the food chain, causing an imbalance___15___nature.
- A. Seen B. felt C. thought D. said
- A. Part B. reason C. cause D. purpose
- A. Wherever B. where C. whenever D. when
- A. Hard B. impossible C. easy D. clear
- A. With B. on C. of D. about
- A. Way B. means C. style D. method
- A. Shocking B. surprising C. astonishing D. amazing
- A. That B. those C. this D. these
- A. Set off B. set about C. set out D. set forth
- A. Search B. need C. hunt D. chase
- A. Seen B. found C. noticed D. observed
- A. Actually B. fully C. extremely D. completely
- A. Would B. must C. will D. may
- A. Lastly B. eventually C. furthermore D. therefore
- A. For B. on C. in D. against
If you still are a member, click here to download answers.